Wednesday 26 October 2011

Okey-Doke

I must say that I have always been a bit sad about this cottage.  It is in such a prominent spot and it has been so unloved for such a long time.  I will also be the first to admit that I knew nothing about the cottage or its history.  However a couple of photos received this summer shed some light on it.

This image of two of the Boswell boys, Jack and Don, from 3rd Street was in the Cave family album.  It was taken out front of Oakie-Doke in 1947.  The glassed in side porch is still there.

I then learned that the name came not from the phrase "Okie-Dokie" but from the couple who lived the whose last name was Oak.  From the Rutherford family album came these Red Rock photos of Audrey & Gratton with their girls and the Oaks.  We do know that Mrs. Oaks name was Harriet, but Mr. Oaks name is currently unknown.


If you have any information about the Oaks family, please drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment